PORTLAND, OREGON – August 29, 2015 – Today 9 Bridges assumed ownership of the NW Book Festival from the Northwest Writers and Publishers Association (NWPA). The event, which happens annually in Pioneer Square in downtown Portland, Ore, attracts independent authors and publishers from all over the country. Held on the last Saturday in July, it has become a summer tradition in Portland for the last seven years.
NWPA President Veronica Esagui has entrusted 9 Bridges to carry on her tradition with the Northwest Book Festival. “There was no question in my mind when I decided to find a group to carry on the tradition,” she said. “The organizers of 9 Bridges have impressed me with their passion and dedication to the writing community from the first time I met them. Their heart is really in the right place when it comes to supporting authors. I am very pleased that 9 Bridges will continue the tradition of providing self-published authors a platform to share their work through the NW Book Festival.”
9 Bridges Chairman of the Board, Vargus Pike, agreed. “We are here to help writers. The NW Book Festival is one of the few affordable venues for self-published authors to promote themselves. It’s a perfect alignment of our two visions.”
Information about signing up for the festival will be available in the following weeks on 9bridges.org. Space is extremely limited and will be reserved on a first come – first served basis. For more information, please contact 9 Bridges at NWBookFest@9bridges.org or visit our site atthe Northwest Book Festival.
About 9 Bridges Writers Guild: 9bridges.org is dedicated to supporting writers in all stages of their journey to pursue their craft. In addition to providing peer review and support in the form of critique groups, 9 Bridges gives writers access to a wide community through workshops, write-ins, events, online forums and the promotion of events that are interesting and benefit our members.
9 Bridges Writers Guild
Call to Authors
For the third consecutive year 9 Bridges will have a booth at the NW Festival of Books in Portland, Oregon. It takes place in Pioneer Courthouse Square which lies in the very heart of Portland so there is a mix of people who come specifically for the festival and people who are passing through. This festival is a one day event on July 25th and it runs from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm.
As in the past two years our booth will be a combination of Informational picketing to raise the awareness of 9 Bridges and an opportunity for published writers from the group to sell and or advertise their books to the general public.
Terms are as follows.
- Due to high demand only active members of 9 Bridges are eligible.
(For this event an active member is defined as a person who has attended one or more meetings in the last 3 months)
- The buy in this year is fifteen dollars per attending author and ten dollars if are not attending but would like your books displayed. A designated representative of the 9 Bridges will be present at all times to facilitate the sale of books when the author is not physically in the booth
All books will be displayed for the entirety of the event
- There will be eight three hour time slots available for attending authors- Four from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm and Four from 2:00 pm to 5:00 Pm.
Time slots to be awarded upon payment on a first come first served basis.
- Because of the dual nature of the booth we are asking that all attending authors be willing to not only sell their books but to answer any questions pertaining to the 9 Bridges as a whole.
Talking points will be made available.
- The NW Festival of Books will be advertising for this event. This is an opportunity to get your name out there. According to the organizers, they will be distributing newspapers for the book festival, which include author names, their book genre or organization information, and their tent number. There was also a map to the booths. Last year the paper was available in Portland and surrounding communities prior to the festival and was very successful in bringing people from around the northwest. They also feature all participating authors on their web site.
If you are interested I participating in the 9 Bridges booth this year please email me.
Clarifying questions and comments welcomed.